Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Katia "Munk" Hrulata from “Kinky Briefs, Quatro” by Seelie Kay

When attorney Katia “Munk” Hrulata was diagnosed with MS, she thought her life was over. Instead, she discovered it was just the beginning. Now, she has only one goal: To walk down the aisle at her wedding. As Munk and her fiancé, Jon, seek the one therapy that will permit her to leave the wheelchair behind, they are in a race against time. But Munk is a fighter. And when she sets her mind on a goal, she won’t permit even her greatest fear to stop her.

Today we’re chatting with Katia ‘Munk’ Hrulata, a criminal defense attorney and MS Warrior from Chicago. Munk is featured in Chapter One of “Kinky Briefs, Thrice” and Chapter Two of “Kinky Briefs, Quatro,” a Sizzling BDSM Contemporary Romance series by Seelie Kay. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you.


Hi, there Munk. Thanks for taking a break from all that wedding planning to chat with us. I notice you’re using a cane. Does that mean you’ve recovered from the MS attack that put you in a wheelchair?
Unfortunately, MS is an incurable disease. It can be managed with medication and other therapies, but since it affects everyone in a different way, it has been difficult to find an actual cure. I still have balance issues after the attack, so I need to use an assistive device, usually a walker or cane. But for a long time, I thought I would never get out of that wheelchair. I was damned scared.

When were you diagnosed with MS?
Actually, last year, just a few days past my 31st birthday. I woke up one morning and couldn’t move. Jon rushed me to the hospital and after a myriad of tests I was diagnosed with MS.

Has the disease affected your relationship with Jon?
It did in the beginning. I told him to leave, because I was afraid if he stayed, it would only be out of pity. And he left. I was in shock. I wanted him to fight for me, but he just walked away. That almost killed me. But I guess love always finds a way. The entire courthouse was rooting for us, in fact, there was a betting pool. Finally, someone pulled him aside and set him straight. (Munk snickers.) Behaved like a caveman and reclaimed me. Best.Night.Ever.

You’re in Kinky Briefs, Thrice, and Quatro, both of which contain short stories about lawyers in love, with a dash of kink. So you’re…kinky? How does that work with MS?
(Munk giggles.) I imagine the same way it works for you. Seriously, couples may have to adapt their kink to a disability, but that doesn’t mean it has to stop. MS affects my legs, primarily my balance, so we just stay away from activities that could result in an injury or cause pain. Like any relationship, it’s about adjusting to real time needs, capabilities and wants. Sometimes we’re playful, sometimes we’re not. Sometimes, an activity is too painful and I have to stop. The key is open and honest communication, just like any relationship. Jon knows when I start whining it’s time to put the ropes and flogger away.

Let’s talk about “that book,” you know the one with the billionaire and the dungeon. How realistic is it?
Hey, the author has a nice touch with fiction. It wasn’t intended to be fact and I guess I don’t understand why some believe it to be. Since the books and the movies came out, I have heard all sorts of stories about clueless women looking for rich Dominants in the wrong places. Some have wound up seriously damaged, even dead. Just because someone claims to be a Dominant doesn’t mean he is and just because someone promises to keep you safe doesn’t mean they will. People need to act with common sense. There is just as much stranger danger in the kink world as in the vanilla one.

Again, those books are F.I.C.T.I.O.N. Offering yourself to a stranger if they will take care of you, like that infamous billionaire, is just plain stupid.

So why do you enjoy kink?
I revel in the power exchange. I have a very demanding career, it’s incredibly stressful, and when I get home, I want to leave all that behind. I find great pleasure in surrendering to Jon. I can just lay there and feel while he makes all the decisions. The bottom line is discovering what gives each of us pleasure. For me, that's a Dominant/submissive dynamic within the context of a loving relationship.

Do you think a lot of lawyers are kinky? 
(Belly laugh) At least enough to fill six books with your kinky stories.

Point taken. Finally, any big plans for Valentine’s Day?
(Munk grins)  A little dinner, a little champagne, an unveiling of my Valentine’s Day surprise (giggles), a show of appreciation by Jon, maybe a little late night snack, a little chocolate sauce and whipped cream. You get the idea…

(Blushing) I most certainly do. Enjoy yourself, Munk!
Oh, I intend to! (more giggles)


“Kinky Briefs” is available through:


Available soon from all major booksellers!

Connect with Seelie Kay


1 comment:

  1. Your story caught my eye, Seelie, for someone very close to me has MS. She'll get a kick out of reading this story. Best of luck!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete