Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Elizabeth Callahan from “The Storm From Her Past” by Cera Fallon

Elizabeth Callahan is a successful Wall Street Chartered Financial Analyst with everything she wants except a man to love her unconditionally.  Her failed relationships have prompted her to put aside any idea of romance and concentrate on her career.  As one of seven children, she had always been overlooked and under-supervised.

William “Johnny” Dalton had everything he wanted except the girl from his childhood that he loved so dearly but was never able to have because he was rich and her mother was their maid.


A “chance” meeting to bring them together?  Tune in.


Today we’re talking to Elizabeth Callahan from “The Storm From Her Past,” a Contemporary Romantic Suspense by Cera Fallon. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you. First, let me start by saying congratulations on your prestigious award. It’s my understanding that you are the youngest executive at Winslow & Hughes.  You’re quite the wunderkind.

How old are you? 
A wunderkind? No, I wouldn’t go that far. I’m 28.  I’ll be 29 in June. I worked my butt off in college. It didn’t come naturally. I had to study really hard; work multiple jobs and take out tons of student loans. My family was lower middle class living in New Jersey. We weren’t the Rockefellers. Money was always tight growing up so there was definitely no money for college. But I don’t regret a second. I really appreciate what I achieved and am proud of how my life has turned out.

Did you always want to work on Wall Street in the financial industry as a Chartered Financial Analyst?
Heck no.  I didn’t even know what a CFA was but I tripped into a full ride scholarship from an anonymous donor to attend New York University so I went for it. As far as I was concerned, free money is free money. I never imagined that I could have this kind of life.

Do you mind if I ask, what is your relationship status? 
Hopelessly Single.

Why do you say hopelessly? You’re beautiful, obviously intelligent and you have a lot to offer.
Thank you but when you work 16-18 hours a day, you barely have time to shower and shave before you have to start all over again. I rarely get to go out anymore. My friends think I’ve deserted them. Luckily my best friend, Grace, understands my schedule. She works at Winslow & Hughes too.

I understand you have a rather large family.
Yes, I’m the exact middle of 7 children. I didn’t get all new clothes each school year but at least I didn’t get tattered, outdated hand-me-downs. Being the ultimate “middle child” I was overlooked so often. At that time, it worked out great for me. As long as I kept my head down and stayed out of trouble, no one noticed whether I came or went.

Wow, seven? Are you close to your family?
For the most part. My dad and I are close. Every year I buy courtside season tickets to the New York Knicks. He loves basketball. It’s really the only time it’s just him and me.

Describe a typical Friday night.
That’s funny. It’s late. I’m sitting in my office on Wall Street. Probably reading over the past weeks summary sheets; trying to predict the “next big thing”. I’ve definitely kicked my high heels off and have my legs propped on my desk. More than likely, I’m on my eleventh cup of coffee of the day. I sound boring, don’t I?

If someone from your past showed up, who would you most want it to be, and why?
Oh wow. I’d have to say William Dalton. I knew him when I was a young girl. My mother worked in his parent’s house as an au pair/maid. He was painfully shy but so sweet once he opened up. He used to hang onto my mother. His mother was rather vacant most of the time. I think he really craved my mom’s motherly affection. His father was a piece of work. We lost touch when we moved from Danbury. I used to sneak out sometimes and meet him at the front gate of his house. We’d never really do anything except talk. He was brilliant and funny. I liked it a lot. Not sure he ever felt the way I did, I just think he liked having someone close to his age to talk to. He was an only child. At least, I think he was. I never saw any other children around their house. 

If someone from your past showed up, who would you most NOT want it to be, and why?
At this point in the interview, Elizabeth pauses; deep in thought. A mix of fear and sadness changes her sunny demeanor. She reaches for a tissue and clears her throat.

You don’t have to answer that question. I didn’t mean to bring up bad memories.
No, it’s okay. It’s just someone that hadn’t crossed my mind in such a long time. I was a bit wild in my youth. Call it a lack of parental supervision. There was a boy that I was madly in love with in high school. I wanted so desperately to get out of my house that I imagined myself in love with this young man. He was your stereotypical bad boy and I fell for it; hook, line and sinker. At first, it was a thrill. Riding on a motorcycle; breaking curfew; getting into trouble. It started affecting my grades. My guidance counselor took me aside and had a heart-to-heart talk; something my parents didn’t have time for. I’m not blaming them. Seven kids were a lot to handle. He told me that the only way for me to really break away from “that” life, was to break it off with the thug and concentrate on getting into college. The break-up didn’t go well. Let’s leave it at that. As far as I know, he’s still in jail and he can rot there, for all I care.

I am so sorry. So, on a happier note, what is your favorite alcoholic drink?
(Her beautiful toothy smile returns and she giggled). 
When I do drink, I like Lemon Drops. Something about the sweet and the tart mixed together. It’s an amazing combination.

Well again, congratulations on your award and good luck in your career.

“The Storm From her Past” is not yet available. You can find news about its release status, on the author’s website.



No comments:

Post a Comment