Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Opal, a misunderstood fairy, from “The Badass Fairies of the Wabash” by Molly Daniels


Whispers Anthology, Coming October 2018:
There’s a whisper in the wind. The whisper of adventure, a whispered secret, the whisper of a tortured soul. What will it be saying to you?

Visit Molly Daniels’s WEBSITE for publication details.

The Badass Fairies of the Wabash by Molly Daniels (short story)
Trouble is brewing along the Wabash River. A young fairy who’s recently released from Solitude, is rebelling against her new duties in the Three Bridges area. When the High Council intervenes, will things improve?


I’d like to introduce Opal, the misunderstood fairy.  Since she doesn’t get to defend herself in the story, I thought I’d give her the chance to explain her side of the story.  Ready, Opal?
I guess so.  How did you get holier-than-thou Diamond to release me from Stonehenge?

I reminded him you’d been locked inside for nearly two years. Your punishment was supposed to only be a month. Were the Druids kind to you?
No; they were horrible.  Being locked in the ground and trapped in stone was awful.  Why couldn’t he have sent me back to L’Arche, where I spent my Solitude?  At least there I had access to the water, and be above ground. My wings are so dusty.  I don’t know how long it will take to get the dirt from behind my ears.  Have you ever taken a dust bath? *shivers*


Let’s back up and bring the readers up to speed.  You saved a human’s life and were granted your own territory to patrol.  What went wrong?
For one thing, Turquoise (Opal’s supervisor) refused to grant my request to be near the water.  He sent me to patrol this boring strip of highway with a lot of twists and turns, lined with cornfields, soybeans, and trees.  After three days of seeing nothing but four cars, a herd of deer, various rodents, and uppity tree nymphs, I went off in search of more action.  How was I supposed to know some stupid human would try to take a turn too fast and play chicken with an oak tree?

What is your connection to Chel?
That phony?  He doesn’t even have the right to call himself a fairy!  He’s a Faxie, since his grandmother was a Pixie. I discovered him mixing potions to hide the fact his powers are nearly useless. At first, I simply helped test his concoctions, and discovered one of them caused me to not care about anything.  When he refused to give me more, I blackmailed him Threatened to expose him to the High Council. But Tanza and Tsavorite caught on….and Dominic blabbed when I interfered with his scheme to get two humans to fall in love. Since when is that a fairy’s job?  I thought the Cupids were in charge of that department.

It was my understanding it was part of Torque’s ruse to catch you.
(Sigh)  It worked.  Now my pretty pink wings are more of a dusty rose; I’ve developed allergies and the skin between my fingers itch; my glossy hair is limp.  I want to return to L’Arche and have the island gnomes pamper me.

Since you brought it up…..what is your disdain for humans?
One of my first assignments was to protect a young college boy.  He was so earnest about his education, so dedicated to his ambition….all I wanted to do was to be able to help him.  This is stupid. Quit using your psycho-babble on me.

Just because you made a mistake….Opal, everyone makes mistakes at one point or another.
(Scoffs)  Not the high-and-mighty High Council.  You saw what they did to me. I’m tired of everything going ‘just right’.  Why not liven up the action? I’ve found it’s more fun to create chaos in the world, instead of peace.  Peace is boooorrrring.

Opal….you’re seriously telling me you’d rather be bad than good?  
I’ve watched enough human TV to know the villians have all the fun. Sometimes they even have the best wardrobes.

You don’t look very well-dressed-
That’s because Steven Spielburg hasn’t read this story yet. You wait and see...he’ll cast Lana Parillo (Wicked Queen in Once Upon A Time) or Angelina Joli to play me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I sincerely doubt that’s ever gonna happen. We’re a small independent press; I don’t see any Hollywood producers ever taking notice of this tiny book of stories.
Maybe I’m in the wrong business….let me talk to Diamond, and I’ll be your agent!

What about the fact you’re a fairy and only two inches tall?
So I’ll have to have help….I’m sure Chel and I can figure out a way to get a producer’s attention.  Maybe hypnotize a human agent for a few hours. Or go to Disney and pitch the idea.

I think this interview’s gotten out of hand. In the meantime, Whispers is set to release sometime in the next month through First City Books.  Did you read the other stories in the book?
I think your other story, Spirit Pottery, is a little hokey. Why couldn’t Zach (the ghost) have tossed Trevor down the stairs?  Or Caleb (the old soldier ghost) scared him out of the studio? But nooooo….it’s all about loooove.  (makes gagging noises). At least Brooke’s story is on the right track.

You’re hopeless, Opal.  Emerald? She’s ready to return to her post. I’m finished with her for the moment.
Emerald?  Why am I being released to Emerald?  He’s a hard-nosed, stick-up-his-butt, no nonsense jerk!

That was a condition for your release. You’re under my supervision now. One misstep and it’s back to the druids for you.

(sulks)  It’s not fair.

Just goes to show, crime doesn’t pay.


“Whispers” is available through:

AMAZON

Connect with Molly Daniels

1 comment: