Monday, August 25, 2014

You’re My Sunflower: The Importance of Friendship


Probably the most famous of friends!
 
So why do I compare my friends to a sunflower?  Because they make me smile.  That’s what friends do – at least most of the time.  Sure there are those times when you wish they wouldn’t be quite so quick to deliver a reality check – but again that’s why we love and depend upon them.  Friends motivate us, commiserate with us, share our joys and sorrows, tell us when the outfit we’re wearing is just not right and let us know when we are behaving like a horse’s … well, you get the picture.

A simple Google search on the importance of friendship turns up thousands of links to information on the subject.  “Fifteen Reasons We Need Friends,” an article written by Susan Krauss Whitbourne in “Psychology Today” has a great recap of the book, “Friendfluence” by Carlin Flora.  While I haven’t read this book yet, it sounds like one that I will add to my reading list.  According to the piece, some of the topics covered in the book are:  friends influence us more than we realize, close friends support us through thick and thin, friends help us define our priorities, couple friendships can help our own relationships, friendship is a two-way street and friends can give us vital life skills.

In “Julia’s Star,” other than the romantic angle, friendship is a key theme.  I had a lot of fun exploring the role that friendship played in the lives of my characters and hope you learn something about your own friendships along the way.    

I’d love to hear from you.  Please share how your friendships have made a difference in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment