Friday, November 20, 2015

A Born Clothes Horse

According to the Urban Dictionary a clothes horse is: A person who is passionate about new clothes. A big shopper and consequently, a big spender.

I come by this inclination naturally - and seemed to have passed it along to my daughters. From birth to early adulthood, between the three of us I think we hit most of the malls between San Diego and San Francisco and a smattering of other locals throughout the country. I particularly enjoyed Fashion Square in Scottsdale, AZ and Aventura Mall in Miami, though I digress.

A few days ago, I was rummaging through old photos and literally drooled over the clothes my mother wore back in the 1930s - which is where I inherited my clothes horse tendency. Dressing up was required before you stepped out the door. While many commentators called the styles 'boyish,' I'd say they were anything but. To me they are elegant, stylish, and the wonderful bias cut let the fabric gently hug a woman's curves. Of course, it helped to be super skinny to pull these styles off.

Ever so often, don't you wish you had a place to wear a hat - other than at the beach or a ball game? I like dressing up but my day wear largely consists of jeans and sweaters rather than the dresses of days gone by. Here are a few of my favorite photos of the outfits my mother wore.


Don't you just love those hats?
So elegant.


The car is so cool!








If you want to learn a little more about the 1930s fashion scene visit:

Ruche

Fashion Era


No comments:

Post a Comment