Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Easy Black Bean Chili Recipe

In my second book entitled, "My Rodeo Man," one of the main characters loves to experiment with recipes, just like I do. As authors, we take what we have experienced or see in the world around us and weave stories around those circumstances. Like Ashley, Zach's love interest in the book, I collect recipes, try them out and when they meet my family's taste test of approval, they go in one of now several 3-ring binders (I've been collecting recipes for over 40 years now).

Here's one of our favorites, thanks to my lovely daughter, Allison. So far I have only used the crockpot version and generally cut the recipe in half and still find it makes 6 large servings. It's great paired with cornbread and a green salad.


 
BLACK BEAN CHILI
2 cups diced bacon
1 onion, diced small
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. sirloin steak, cut into ¼ inch strips
3 cups dried black beans
1 cup red wine
2 whole tomatoes, peeled and chopped or 1-16oz. can stewed tomatoes
10 cups beef stock
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
6 tablespoons sour cream

Stove-top version:
Sauté bacon until crisp. Add onion and garlic; sauté until brown. Add sirloin and sauté until brown.

Add remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream. Cook for 2 to 2 ½ hours. While cooking, adjust liquid with more stock and wine, if necessary. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Crockpot version:
Sauté bacon until crisp.

Layer bacon, onions and garlic then sirloin strips. Top with remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.

For both versions: To serve top with cilantro and sour cream. You can also sprinkle on some grated cheddar cheese.

Serves 6-8

Visit my website for information about my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment