Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Cam Rodriquez from “My Army Ranger” by Bonnie Phelps


Ex-Army Ranger, Cam Rodriguez, lost a leg in Afghanistan. Broken, he returns home to his small Texas town to figure out what to do with his life. What he finds is more frightening than the battlefield he left behind. The life of his childhood friend – and secret childhood crush – is threatened. He’s not the warrior he once was but is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice if that’s what it takes to save Crystal.

Crystal Kincaid likes her quiet life and wishes, more than anything, it could stay that way. But life has other ideas. A man she dated a few times has become obsessed with her and she now lives in fear. Her natural instinct has been to avoid danger at all costs. She turns to Cam to keep her safe. Lured to a remote location by her stalker, she has to fight for her life and test the new-found confidence Cam gave her.

This powerful and emotional FRIENDS to LOVERS contemporary romance novella will keep you turning the pages and breathe a happy sigh at the end.


Today I’m talking to Cam Rodriquez from “My Army Ranger: The Texas Kincaids Book 4,” my just released Contemporary Romance. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you.


How old are you?
28 in years. He ran a hand over his short-cropped hair. Life experience puts me in the senior citizen range.

When you look in the mirror, what do you see?
From the cut of my hair to the way I stand – I’m military all the way. Pausing, a hint of sadness tinged with resignation stole over his face. Scars. An uncertain future. A guy who wonders what his place in the world is. A man who wants more and is willing to work hard to get it – once I figure out what that is. I see a small-town Texas boy who grew up scrabbling for everything he has.

Did you have a happy childhood?
Does any kid ever have a totally happy childhood? Kids are supposed to push the boundaries – and I definitely did that – and be told no. He chuckled. I definitely heard a lot of that too. I’m sure I’m the reason my mom has to dye her hair. Blowing out a breath, he continued. It started out rough – my mom had to be both parents and sole breadwinner. Times were tough. Kids made fun of me because I was poor. I fought back and carried around a lot of anger. Luckily I fell in with Josh and Dave. Not only were we all nerds and loved anything computer but their families, especially Josh’s, took me in and never let me feel like I wasn’t as good as everyone else.

What are you most afraid of?
Of not being enough. My dad left just after I was born. Did I disappoint him in some way? I lost a leg in Afghanistan. Could I ever go back to combat or am I doomed to be a desk jockey? I’m good with computers, but without a college degree, will an employer take a chance on me? Lots of unanswered questions. And then there’s this guy stalking Crystal. Am I capable of protecting her? I don’t know if I could live with myself if something happened to her.

What would you like it to say on your tombstone?
No matter the sacrifice, he did what was right.

If we could only hear your voice (but not see you) what characteristic would identify you?
A low growl that makes people think of dark and dangerous.

Are you close to family?
Yes, to my mom. She sacrificed so much to make sure I had what I needed – not everything I wanted but at least a roof over our heads, food on the table, and clothes on my back. Even though we didn’t have much, she always made sure I knew she loved my completely.  

What would you most like to forget?
Getting wounded. The pain, the knowledge I was letting down the other guys in my unit because I couldn’t help. The months in Walter Reed recuperating from surgery and then the endless physical therapy. Relearning to walk and do everyday things – like drive a car, climb stair. Things I’d taken for granted.

Do you see morality as black & white or shades of gray?
People tend to think that soldiers see things as black and white… and I suppose there are some things we see that way out of necessity – kill or be killed, love of what our country stands for. Honestly though, there’s a lot of gray in the world. Your enemy has a family and people who love them. They fight for a lot of the same reasons we do. Most of us just want to be left to live our lives.

If someone showed up from your past, who would you most want it to be and why?
My dad. I want to know why he left. Why couldn’t he love us? Stay with us? Support us? Why did he never try and contact us after he left? I have no idea if he is dead or alive. I guess that’s on me – never trying to find out.  

If there is one place in the world you could go, where would it be?
I’m already there. The Texas Hill Country is where my heart is. When we got leave, after we’d seen our families, some of us would meet up in different spots in the world and play tourist. While there are places I enjoyed visiting, nothing beats home.  

Are you a morning person or a night owl?
I’m a soldier, so I’m whatever is needed. I’ve learned to get by on little sleep and can fall asleep wherever I am.

What would make you completely happy?
Getting rid of Crystal’s stalker. I want her to be safe. After that, if she’ll have me, marrying her and raising a family. I figure the rest of life’s choices will work themselves out.


“My Army Ranger” is available through:


Connect with Bonnie Phelps

No comments:

Post a Comment