Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Steve from “A Major Seduction” by CJ Matthew

Today we’re talking to Major Steve Shorner, F-15E Strike Eagle pilot, from the book “A Major Seduction” by CJ Matthew. This is the first book in the series, “The Colonel’s Daughters.”

What is your relationship status?
Technically, I reckon I’m still single. But I’m telling you right now, my heart’s a goner. It all started when I promised to stand up at my buddy’s wedding in Japan. A week before the wedding, my Colonel sent me TDY to Tokyo. And damned if I didn’t meet Kari, the maid of honor, on the same flight...well, it’s a long story. Can I buy you a beer?

What was your first impression of Kari?
At first, I couldn’t see much. Except all that red hair and I remember she smelled amazing. The woman was loaded down like a pack horse. Standing in line at TSA security, she juggled one of those long garment bags, a carry-on, and an over-stuffed tote. Her phone rang and that’s when I got a good look at her face. She took my breath away.

If we could only hear your voice (but not see you) what characteristic would identify you?
People tell me I’ve got a Texas accent but I can’t hear it. One characteristic I’ve developed as a pilot is to keep a calm voice during an emergency. No use yelling, stay calm and get through it.

What is your favorite food?
Texas barbeque. Ribs, chicken, anything cooked on a grill with sauce that you eat with your hands. I like all the fixins, too but the meat is the best.

Are you close to family?
I’m real close to Mom. My older brother, not so much. Big brother, his wife and two little girls all live in Texas on the family ranch. I reckon Dad would’ve been happier if I’d stayed on the ranch, too. But I had to fly. So I graduated from UT, got my commission, and qualified in the Strike Eagle. Then, umm… six months ago, Dad had a heart attack and passed.

If someone from your past showed up, who would you most want it to be, and why?
Mostly, I’d want to see Dad. To introduce him to Kari. And so I can tell him I love him. I’ve recently learned some important stuff. One thing, you can’t assume folks in your life know you love them. You gotta say it out-loud.

Name three of your favorite things.
In order, at the top is Kari. Then number 2 is a combo: going vertical in the F-15E with Quinn whooping in the back seat. Finally, cold beers in the squadron lounge.


Buy Link
Amazon

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Bonnie, for giving Maj. Shorner the opportunity to say hello to your readers. It was fun! CJ Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed hosting the interview. Thanks for introducing everyone to Steve!

    ReplyDelete