Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Meet the Characters - An Interview with Dr. Holly Babson from “Order of Malice” by Lisa Caviness

Today we’re talking to Dr. Holly Babson, from “Order of Malice,” a Romantic Thriller by Lisa Caviness. I understand that you’re a child psychologist. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you.


Do you care about what others assume about you?
Holly swallowed hard. “I hate to admit it, but yes.” She leaned forward and lowered her voice. “My father is an escaped convict. People judge. In my professional life, I’d prefer not to have my clients and colleagues question my background. I have deep and horrifying experiences in my past. I’ve learned over the years that keeping my family history private is much better than being pitied and having people assume I’m cut from the same cloth as other family members.”

Are you close to family?
“Absolutely!” Her expression brightened. “The twins and I went to live with my grandparents after my sister, Bethany died. They gave us a stable and loving home. My grandfather passed away several years ago but Gran is still going strong. The twins are now in college and we all are very close. My father sometimes contacts me, and although I worked with the police to aid in his capture, he lobs threats to hurt the twins or Gran. He’s an evil man. I’d do anything to protect my family.”

If someone from your past showed up, who would you most want it to be, and why?
Holly pulled at her lip while she ran her finger around the rim of her coffee mug. “I’d love to see and talk to my older sister, Bethany. We were very close. I remember the fun times we shared as sisters. We’d pretend to be other people in different lives or daydream about our futures. I could tell her anything. She was…” Her voice shook. “I miss her.”

If someone from your past showed up, who would you most NOT want it to be, and why?
The easy answer would be my father but I’d have to say, my mother. “She pushed a brown curly strand of hair away from her face. “She’s dead now but she was a complicated, unhappy person. Her children rarely saw the best side of her. I can remember on one hand the times I felt like my mother was actually present with Bethany and me, but by the time the twins came along those times were in the past. The twins didn’t have a chance to experience any semblance of the deep affection only a mother can provide. Maybe, I need to work through those issues, but she hurt me more than anyone.” Her voice softened. “Perhaps she was another victim of my father’s destruction.”

Describe a typical Friday night.
“I don’t date much. There’s hasn’t been anyone I wanted to trade my time for, until... I just met him.” She suppressed a smile. “Anyway, my roommate and I love movies and romance novels so many nights we’ll stay up reading, discussing books, or watching television. Although occasionally I’ll have a date or we’ll go out clubbing but sometimes, a book or a movie is a better option.”

What is your favorite food?
“Cooking and baking relax me. My favorite food is homemade cinnamon bread. I know carbs, but yum! The smell of fresh bread is almost as good as eating it.”

What would make you completely happy?
“If I could choose my happiness, I’d have an Earth shattering love with the man of my dreams. We’d live on the beach in a cute little house with an amazing kitchen and a den filled with books. We’d have two kids and a dog. I don’t need a ton of money or a huge house—just a great love and happy family. I’d also like to see the twins happy, thriving in their careers, and with their special people.”

If you had a free day with no responsibilities and your only mission was to enjoy yourself, what would you do?
“I’d bake something special I’ve been dying to try.” She smiled. “Then I’d take my creation and spend a few hours with Gran and the twins. For the remainder of the day, I’d hike the Virginia mountain trails with my best friend and watch the sunset.” She nodded. “Quieting my thoughts—now that would be a perfect day.”

Name three things that tick you off.
Holly focused on her hands and twirled her ring before answering. “Deceit, lies, and clutter.”

What was your first impression of your love interest?
Holly twirled her napkin. “I met Reid after tracking a missing teen, one of my patient’s, to his home. I discovered Reid was her uncle.

If this guy put a finger on Lila, I’ll have him tossed in jail so damn fast his… Holly couldn’t come up with an action as she stared at the hot guy in front of her. His pectoral muscles bulged against the Star Trek T-shirt. Original Star Trek, which gave him even more kudos. But she wasn’t here to ogle.

“Order of Malice” is available through:



Holly has dedicated her life to helping children, and that means she makes herself available day or night. When she’s not aiding endangered children, Holly has her own demons. She dreams of a life where her escaped convict father and the memories of her sister’s horrific death are both locked away. While helping a runaway teen, death returns to her doorstep, revealing the teen’s connection to The Order, a cult-like organization bent on using the teen for its malicious deeds. Further complicating matters, Holly meets the teen’s uncle, Reid Patterson. While her head urges her to run the other way, her heart pulls her toward Reid. As her past, her fears, and her heart are locked in vicious turmoil, Holly, along with Reid, must battle mysterious forces or face deadly consequences. 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jillian. And a special thanks to Bonnie for graciously hosting me on her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this interview. Can wait to read more of Dr. Holly Babson's story.

    ReplyDelete