Friday, November 10, 2017

First Kiss Friday – An Excerpt from “Injury” by Val Tobin

Today on First Kiss Friday, we welcome romance author, Val Tobin, and an excerpt from her Romantic Suspense novel, “Injury.”

If you could ask your father anything right now, what would it be?

Actress Daniella Grayson would love to be able to ask her father anything at all. She puts herself in the spotlight, hoping to attract the attention of the father she believes abandoned her when she was five.

Dani’s world falls apart when her father’s remains are discovered, and her mother is arrested for the murder.

In a moment of vulnerability, she turns to the handsome and caring Robert “Cope” Copeland, her limo driver, for comfort and support.

Can the budding relationship survive betrayal, Dani’s shameful past, and her obsessive ex-boyfriend?


First Kiss Excerpt
“Come in.” Cope stepped back into the foyer and held the door open for her.
Dani entered a modestly furnished apartment, small and cozy. Delighted to be in his space, she raised up on tiptoes to plant a kiss on his cheek. “Thanks for the invite. I’m so happy you called me over.”
“Want a tour? It’s not much, but I’m proud of it.” Cope swept his arm around the room, encompassing the living room, dining room, and kitchen, and grinned. “That’s most of it.”
He set the bottle on the kitchen counter as they walked by and led her into his bedroom. Her gaze diverted to the bed, which took up most of the tiny bedroom, Dani had an urge to grab Cope and pull him onto it.
Control yourself, crazy lady. Be classy. Dani almost laughed out loud as an image of her staggering drunk on the beach flashed through her mind. Cope had already seen her puking up alcohol more than once. Classy was already off the table.
What was she doing here, in her dress-up clothes and fancy hair and makeup? The prolonged silence made her glance at him. He stared at her, puzzled, expectant.
“You’ve seen me at my worst, Cope. I don’t know what you think of me or how to act around you.”
“You’re nervous?” He said it as if he was curious, not surprised.
Dani nodded. “If I were you, I wouldn’t like me very much.”
Cope stepped to her side. His arms went around her, and his mouth covered hers. He pressed her against his body, and she molded to him as though they were made to fit together. A moan escaped her when his tongue darted into her mouth, hungry and insistent. The next moment, he released her, but had to grab her again when she swayed.
“I’ve been wanting to do that since the day we met. But you were my boss, and I had to keep it professional. After that, I’ve been looking for an opening. How could I not like you?” He stroked her face, pushing the stray strands of hair from her cheeks and forehead. “Because you had a tough time coping with everything? It was difficult to watch, Dani, but it wasn’t your fault, and I did my best to protect you.”
To Dani’s horror, she burst into tears.
“Dani?”
Sobs continued to tear out from deep in her chest. An attempt to speak failed.
Cope pressed her head against his shoulder, one hand stroking her hair.
“I barely acknowledged you. What a snob. How could you put up with me? Almost every night, you had to either drag or carry me up to my apartment. More than once, you helped me to the bathroom to puke. God, I’m so embarrassed.”
Cope sighed. “I’ve had my share of nights like that, Dani—just perhaps not as many as you.”
Dani jerked her head up, but saw he was smiling. Unable to resist, she smiled in return. “You’re great at holding my hair back and never took advantage of me.” The wonder in her voice rang in her ears, and she flushed. “I don’t mean to imply you’d do that.”
“It’s okay. You were always this beautiful, fragile, vulnerable young woman, and I’d want to kill anyone who took advantage of that. The times you spent with Henderson were particularly grating. He used you, if you don’t mind my opinion, but I couldn’t interfere, because you chose to be with him.”
Not wanting to discuss Henderson with Cope, Dani changed the subject. “What happens now? Between us, I mean?”
“What would you like to happen between us?”…

“Injury” is available through:

No comments:

Post a Comment