Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Maria Thompson from “The Santa Bargain” by Robin Michaela

Santa’s gifts can be both naughty…and nice.

Coffeehouse entrepreneur, Maria Thompson, has sworn off men ever since her young son’s father walked out of their lives. But, when she literally runs into sexy carpenter, Joe Sinclair, she wonders if it’s time to rethink her plan.

Joe Sinclair doesn’t need or want romance or a family. He was raised in the foster care system and learned long ago not to get attached to anyone. Now, if he could just remember that, he could put the sensual owner of Copper River, Colorado’s new coffee shop out of his mind.

After Maria and Joe volunteer to work together on the town’s first Christmas festival, their attraction lights up brighter than a new a string of holiday lights. When Santa comes to town, will they finally find everything they’ve ever wished for under the tree?


Today we’re talking to Maria Thompson, from “The Santa Bargain,” a Contemporary Romance by Robin Michaela. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you.

What is your relationship status?
Single mom. Really, that’s an actual relationship status, because being a mother turns some guys off. Their loss.

Name three of your favorite things.
My five year old son, Zach. The entire holiday season, starting with the insanity of stores putting holiday decorations up for sale on September 1. And, Joe Sinclair, now that he’s agreed to be Santa in the Copper River holiday parade. Who knows? He might even work his way up the list into second position once he holds up his end of our bargain. Not that I’m looking for a relationship, but still. Being friends with benefits could have its…benefits.

What would you like it to say on your tombstone?
World’s Best Mom. Successful Business Owner.

Now on to something lighter, what is your favorite drink?
I love margaritas – frozen, no salt. I’m not opposed to making them grande, either, although someone would probably have to carry me out of the restaurant. I’m a lightweight.

What is your favorite food?
Maybe you figured it out from the drink question, but I love Mexican food. Give me a plate of nachos (hold the jalapenos) and a margarita and I’m in heaven. Oh, and sopapillas with chocolate dipping sauce for dessert. Never forget the sopapillas.

What was your first impression of Joe Sinclair?
I was both horrified and turned on at the same time. See, I ran into him. Literally. Things got up close and personal real fast because I collided with him and nearly knocked him off a ladder. The collision part told me exactly how sculpted and buff he is, but then he looked at me with those gorgeous blue eyes and…let’s just say that I understand why some women throw themselves at men. Happily, I’m pretty sure I can resist him. Maybe.

Are you close to family?
No, not really. I’m an only child and my parents aren’t exactly warm and fuzzy. I think that’s why I try to be the best mom I can be to Zach.

If someone from your past showed up, who would you most NOT want it to be, and why?
I wouldn’t want to see my ex. He’s Zach’s father. I’m happy we were together because I got a great kid from the relationship, but the loser abandoned us! I swore off men after that. I don’t want my son to get attached and then have the new guy bail on us, too.

What is your most prized possession?
My son’s baby clothes. I’m super sentimental so I saved all of them, just in case I have another child someday.

Are you a morning person or a night owl?
I’m one of those chipper morning people that everyone else hates. See, I own a coffee shop – Cuppa Java – which means I always have plenty of caffeine around. And I take advantage of that.

What kinds of things do you always carry (in pockets or purse)?
I’m mom to a five year old, so I haul around bandages, snacks, tissues, an extra pair of Zach’s mittens because we live in the Colorado mountains, and my cell phone. Always my cell phone.

What is your biggest need?
Well, until Joe agreed to be Santa in the holiday parade, filling that slot was my most pressing need. Now that he and I have struck our bargain, though, I really need him in ...umm… other ways. I also need Cuppa Java to succeed, but right now I’m sorta obsessed with Joe, dang it, so that’s the first place my head went when I heard your question.

The holidays are almost here. What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
Ha, you’re going to be sorry you asked. Like I said before, I love all things holiday-related. Zach and I make popcorn and string it for the tree, we roast chestnuts, and I make mulled cider. We also bake gingerbread people and spend an afternoon decorating them.
I’m in charge of the First Annual Christmas Festival that Copper River has ever had, so I made sure to include all of our traditions into the event. We’re even having sleigh rides and caroling, plus Santa/Joe will ride in the parade and hear the kid’s gift requests afterward. The town was destroyed by wildfires last year, so the money we raise will go to the rebuilding efforts. You should definitely visit Copper River during the festival.

“The Santa Bargain” is available through:

On sale for $0.99 at Amazon (or free to read on KU)

Or FREE if you sign up for Robin's NEWSLETTER by December 3, 2017


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was my pleasure. Looks like I have one more book to add to my TBR pile.

      Delete