Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Blade Masters from “Stormy Hawkins” by Ana Morgan

Blade Masters has finally spotted his ideal Dakota Territory ranch, where he can live alone, forget his cheating ex-fiancée, and bury the shards of his shattered heart. All he needs to do is sweet-talk the ailing owner, and his spitfire daughter, into retiring.

If she weren’t desperate, Stormy would never hire a cowhand. She’s learned the hard way that she’s happier working her family’s ranch alone. But, the greedy banker who holds their mortgage just demanded payment in full—or her hand in marriage.

Will this handsome drifter protect her? Or does he have designs of his own?


Today we’re talking to Blade Masters from “Stormy Hawkins (Prairie Hearts Series Book 1),” a Western Historical Romance by Ana Morgan. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you.


What is your relationship status?
I’m single and intend to die that way. All I want is a ranch with a small house and a barn for my mare, Belinda. We’ll run cattle and I’ll bury my heart.

Name three things that tick you off.                
Liars, cheaters, and hustlers. People who take what doesn’t belong to them. 

What is your favorite food?                   
I’ve subsisted on jerky and cold beans for so long that I like anything that’s hot and homemade. But since I have to name just one thing, it’s Running Bear’s biscuits smothered with butter and brambleberry jam. Heavenly.

What was your first impression of Stormy Hawkins?                  
I was shocked. Sultry voice behind a double-barreled shotgun pointed at my nose. Denims, boy’s shirt, and a battered, wide-brimmed leather hat. She accused me of working to repossess her ranch and ordered me off. Said if I showed up again, she’d shoot first and talk second. Now, it’s no secret I’ve always had a way with the ladies. I know how to use charm to get what I want. But I’d never encountered a woman like Stormy.

What would you most like to forget?                     
Not what, but who. My ex-fiancée Candace. Candy. We met in a dockside bar. She said she loved me and had no trouble spending my pay in exchange for, ahem, companionship. When I had saved enough money to buy a ranch, she dumped me for my younger brother. She’s his problem now.

If you could go back in time, what one thing would you change in your life?       
Ah, the wish of every man who’s ever been humiliated in front of his family by the woman he loves. What would I change? I’d wipe away the day I showed Candy the mansion I grew up in. From that day forward, she schemed to possess more than my heart and soul.

Are you close to family? 
Haven’t seen them in five years. I do miss my baby sister, Mary, though. She’s sweet and special. Plays the piano.

Describe a typical Friday night.              
You might not like it. I’m usually lying on my bedroll looking up at the stars. That’s the life of a land scout. We’re always on the move, looking to earn our next commission.

If there is one place in the world you could go, where would it be?  
I’ve found my heaven on earth, and if the Hawkins ranch were mine, I’d ride right into the yard, unsaddle Belinda, and unpack my bedroll.

What is your most prized possession?
My mare, Belinda. She taught me how to be a cowboy and has carried me everywhere I want to go. She’s my best and only friend.

What inner doubt causes you the most difficulty?
That I could be so blinded by a woman’s charms that I could not see what she was really after. If I could be fooled once, who’s to say I couldn’t be fooled again. Best thing, as I see it, is to steer clear of every feminine invitation.

What is your biggest need?     
Right now? To close one more land deal and have enough money to buy my own spread.

What would make you completely happy?   
To have a ranch of my own and a woman who loves it and me.

If you had a free day with no responsibilities and your only mission was to enjoy yourself, what would you do?               
I’d ride over every inch of land that belonged to me and admire very blade of grass, every cow and calf. Then I’d come back to my cozy cabin, give Belinda an extra scoop of grain, and sit in a rocker on the front porch with a big cup of eggshell coffee.

“Stormy Hawkins” is available through:



3 comments: