Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Kevin Taylor from “Teacher’s Pet” by Kenzie Michaels

What happens when you discover that the man who caught your attention three months ago is your son’s teacher? Tammy Saunders is horrified when she finds out the man who set her heart racing is her son’s favorite teacher. After one bad relationship, can she trust her heart? What will her son Danny think?

Kevin Taylor has made some bad choices in his life. But sleeping with not only one, but two, of his students’ mothers has got to be the worst mistake he’s ever made. Especially when he’s lost his heart to one of them? When Danny begins to rebel in his classroom, will Kevin and Tammy's relationship be in jeopardy?


Today we’re talking to Kevin Taylor from “Teacher’s Pet,” a Contemporary Romance by Kenzie Michaels. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you.


Hello Kevin, thanks for agreeing to sit down with me today.
It’s about time, don’t you think, Kenzie? Since I was really your first male character…

Not quite; Steve and Brad were created in August. You didn’t arrive until November.
Technicality… I believe the inspiration for me began back in what, 2003?

Okay, if you want to get technical with me, yes. I based you loosely on my oldest son’s history teacher, while Steve and Brad were inspired in 2007. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, can we continue?
With pleasure. What’s your first question?

What was your first impression of Tammy?
She knocked my socks off. She wasn’t trying to impress anyone at the ball field that day, and I’m so glad she knew my colleague. I wasn’t sure how to start a conversation with her.

You? Tongue-tied around her?
I know; it doesn’t happen very often, but it was instant attraction, and my brain just went to mush. When she insisted on buying me another bag of popcorn, the conversation flowed naturally. Especially when I found out she’d been to the Tampa-St. Pete area in Florida, which is where I’m from.

How did you end up in Indiana?  
That’s a good question. My sister’s husband was transferred to Indianapolis right after I got my education degree, and she told me Math teachers were in hot demand up here. So I took the State Boards and got certified on the first try. Brooke was thrilled to have me around to help out with her kids while I waited to be hired.

Are you close to family?
Close, as in emotional? Very. I was lucky to be raised by loving parents who supported my decision to go into education. My parents still live in Florida, and since I’m up here, I only see them once or twice a year. My sister and her family now live in Jacksonville, so I’m glad she’s there in case of any emergency.

Are you upset your name is not in the title?
Oh no, not at all. In fact, I’m glad you changed the title from Head of the Class. It just felt so stuffy. Teacher’s Pet is much better.

Do you have any annoying habits I didn’t share?
(pinches bridge of nose)
I think you touched on the fact that while I’m not the messiest man on the planet, I’m also not a neat freak either. Tammy got after me the first time I tossed a wet towel on the bed instead of hanging it on the towel rack. She also taught me how to do laundry the right way… I wondered why my socks were turning gray.

Any hobbies we might be interested in knowing about?
Watching and playing sports, spending time with both my sister’s kids and Tammy’s. My niece and nephew are about the same age as Danny and Teri, so I’m well trained in board games, going to athletic events, or even spending quiet evenings putting together puzzles or playing card games.

Are you happy with the profession your author chose for you or would you rather be working at something totally different and why?
No, you hit it dead on. I’ve always been good with numbers, and my mom loves to tell the story about how I wanted more homework in the second grade. I would finish well ahead of the others, and thankfully I had a teacher who understood. She would assign me extra work until the others finished. I think that’s when I decided I wanted to be like her.
           
If you could go back in time, what one thing would you change in your life?
I wish I’d met Tammy first, instead of Melanie. It would have saved us soooo much heartache.

Now for a personal question. When you look in the mirror, what do you see?
Ahem. The older I get, the more I see my dad staring back at me. Or my uncle. I just hope I don’t inherit the male pattern baldness, but I’ve been told that’s passed down from the mother’s side, so I should be okay.

Is Tammy a good kisser?
The best.

I updated your book recently; are you happy with it?
Very! I don’t know how we ever got along without smartphones or even Social Media. When we were going through the lawsuit with Melanie, I’d have to wait until I got home to get a message from my lawyer, because I didn’t have service at Tammy’s house. Now, all he has to do is text me, and I get it no matter where I’m at.

Did your story end too soon?
At first, I thought it was taking too long, but I saw what you were doing, and I think it would have been too short if you’d written the Valentine’s Day scene differently. You ended up with a well-fleshed out story, in my opinion.

Who was your favorite supporting character?
Besides my mom? LOL... toss up between Danny and Teri. But then again, you didn’t see Danny interacting with Kelsey or Ariel, two girls in his class. Sixth grade kids with crushes are priceless to watch!

Do you want your story to become a series with you as a recurring character?
I don’t think it’s necessary, unless you decide you want to explore Danny or Teri’s future stories.

Thanks for sitting down with me Kevin! This was truly a pleasure.
I’m just glad you finally got around to doing this with me.

“Teacher’s Pet” is available through:

Connect with Kenzie Michaels


1 comment: