Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Meet the Characters – An Interview with Lady Tuya from “Lady Of The Nile” by Veronica Scott

Tuya, a high ranking lady-in-waiting at Pharaoh’s court, lives a life of luxury, pageantry and boredom. Khian, a brave and honorable officer from the provinces temporarily re-assigned to Thebes, catches her eye at a gold of valor ceremony. As the pair are thrown together by circumstances, she finds herself unaccountably attracted to this man so unlike the haughty nobles she’s used to. But a life with Khian would mean leaving the court and giving up all that she’s worked so hard to attain. As she goes about her duties, Tuya struggles with her heart’s desires.

When Tuya is lured into a dangerous part of Thebes by her disgraced half-brother and kidnapped by unknown enemies of Egypt, Khian becomes her only hope. Pharaoh assigns him to bring the lady home.

Aided by the gods, Khian races into the desert on the trail of the elusive kidnappers, hoping to find Tuya before it’s too late. Neither of them has any idea of the dark forces arrayed against them, nor the obstacles to be faced. An ancient evil from the long gone past wants to claim Tuya for its own purposes and won’t relinquish her easily.

Can Khian find her in time? Will he and his uncanny allies be able to prevent her death? And if the couple escapes and reaches safety, what of their fledgling romance?


Today we’re talking to Lady Tuya of Pharaoh’s Court from “Lady Of The Nile (Gods Of Egypt),” a Paranormal Romance set in ancient Egypt by Veronica Scott. Let’s get started. I’m sure our readers are eager to learn more about you.


What are you most afraid of?
When the novel begins, I’m most afraid of standing outside life, being a mere observer of others’ happiness. Living and dying without really experiencing all the joys of true love, marriage, motherhood – I have my position as a lady in waiting to the queen and I serve the goddess as a priestess. And ultimately that wasn’t enough for me.

What would you like it to say on your tombstone?
As you probably know, in the land of the Nile, we have elaborate tombs, with significant events from our lives depicted in beautiful paintings, as well as scenes of the life we hope to lead in the afterlife. I can’t reveal spoilers from the novel of course but there is a scene toward the end of the book, involving Pharaoh that I definitely will have painted in my tomb! I can say in general, as a priestess of the goddess Mut, I’ll commission scenes of myself with her. I’ll also have paintings of my beloved Khian, and if we are blessed to have children, they’ll be included.

Now on to something lighter, what is your favorite drink?
Egyptians are renowned for their beer.

What is your favorite food?
Honeyed dates.

What is your favorite song?
I doubt you’ve heard of it – a song extolling the accomplishments of Pharaoh.

What was your first impression of Captain Khian?
I first saw Khian when he appeared at court to be honored for military valor. He was so different than the nobles or even the top military men in Pharaoh’s private guard. Khian seemed like a breath of fresh air, no political artifice, just honest and forthright.  (Tuya giggles at a private memory.) And as I found out much later, in a moonlit garden, he can also quote poetry most effectively. And he’s quite handsome.

If you could go back in time, what one thing would you change in your life?
I’m content with the changes that occurred for me in the novel, as Fate brought me Khian. I lost my father at a very early age and of course I’d wish to alter that sad event, but then I’d never have met Khian. As the wise men say, “There is no one who can ignore Shai, god of Fate.”

Are you close to family?
I have no family left now. I did have a half-brother who was something of a scoundrel.

Do you see morality as black-and-white, or with shades of gray?
As Egyptians, we believe in ma’at – the balance and harmony of the universe, with truth and justice being very important. After death, each person must pass the test of having their heart weighed in the balance of the gods, to see if we’re worthy of achieving the joyous afterlife. I have tried to keep the principles of ma’at faithfully. I pray the goddess who embodies these traits, Ma’at herself, will find I have done well and lived a worthy life.

If you could make any one thing happen, what would it be?
Khian and I pray to the gods to bless us with children.

What is your most prized possession?
A feather from the pure white wings of the goddess Mut herself.

What kinds of things do you always carry in your pockets or purse?
I always have my ostrich feather fan, because the days can be quite hot, and I wear various amulets to ward off evil spirits and bring me good fortune. I have no purse or pockets, however. I’m told the pocket will be invented some 2000 years or so after I leave the land of the living to travel into the west. (My author does sometimes talk about pockets on occasion, but she calls them ‘conscious anachronisms’ in her writing. She has a Note on Historical Accuracy on her blog.)

If you had a free day with no responsibilities and your only mission was to enjoy yourself, what would you do?
Khian and I would go for a sail on the river Nile, and talk of everything and nothing, recite poetry to each other, perhaps fish for dinner…and have some very private moments in our cabin!


“Lady Of The Nile” is available through:



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me as your guest today! It was great fun answering the questions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you could join us today and share Lady Tuya's story.

      Delete